Boiler Maintenance and Gas Appliance Safety


Always ensure all your gas appliances and your gas boiler are properly maintained and serviced. If you use the services of a local plumber make sure that they are Gas Safe registered, they should be able to give you their registration number and some ID. plumbing

Incorrectly installed gas appliance can be very dangerous and lead to tragic consequences. If you think that any appliance in your house or the house of relatives or friends have been incorrectly installed, call out a local Gas Safe plumber. Why? Well here is a summary of news report from the Coventry Times which shows how seriously Local Trading Standards Officers regard installation of gas appliances:

A Leamington Spa plumbing and heating company owner has been fined £5,000 after a gas fire installed by his company was found to be unsafe. He appeared at Rugby magistrates court on Nov 25th. This court appearance followed the installation of an inset gas fire by one of his workers last year. The house owner did not like the look of the installation pipework and decided to call out an inspector from the Gas Safe Register, the official organisation for gas safety throughout the UK. goodspropertyservices

The inspector found that the inset fire had been installed over the remains of an old back boiler, which should have been removed. An official complaint was made and the gas fire supply was disconnected until remedial work was completed the fire deemed to be safe and re-inspection made. An official complaint was submitted and Warwickshire County Council’s Trading Standards conducted an investigation leading to the prosecution.

Cllr Richard Hobbs, in charge of community safety, emphasised that imperfectly installed gas appliances could have devastating consequences.He said: “It is vital that plumbing and heating engineers take their responsibilities seriously and ensure that gas appliances are properly installed.”

The gas installer admitted his firm did not have any procedures in place to ensure work was adequately checked because 2oceansplumbing “it was a relatively new firm and he did not know what procedures were required”.He further stated “the company now had procedures in place to check gas appliances following installation, and two employees had been retrained in fitting gas fires”. The installer pleaded guilty to one consumer protection regulation offence for which he was fined £500 and one health and safety offence for which he was fined £2,700. He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge madeesy of £15 and a contribution to costs of £1,800.

 


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.