If your diet is making you a humbug this season, bar trivia company new york there’s good news. Although I wouldn’t go as far as to call it a “health” food, dark chocolate, that decadent confection, may not be a bad way to go if your sweet tooth has the best of you. Recently conducted studies published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition have shown that a dose of dark chocolate is not a bad “cheating” option. And with the holidays upon us, this news couldn’t have come at a better time. Blk Kat Carts
Just for fun, I thought I’d conduct a mini-research project of my own and get the “skinny” on our friend dark chocolate. Here’s some of the interesting factoids I came up with:
– Cocoa – the precursor to chocolate – has been around a long time. A few thousand years, in fact. It has been thought that cocoa beans were brought to Europe in the 1500’s by Christopher Columbus.
– Cocoa, later made into chocolate, was given to American Soldiers in WWII. A source of high energy, each soldier was given a three chocolate bar per day ration, according to historical data. Baked bars carts
– Researchers began getting more involved in dark chocolate studies when results began showing that in addition to it being a high energy food, chocolate also seems to elevate moods. Researchers found truth in the studies which showed that dark chocolate does, in fact, increase levels of the mood-altering chemicals such as serotonin and endorphins. health
– Other researchers have been looking for links to prove the correlation between chocolate and a true physiological craving. (Check out “Why Women Need Chocolate,” written by Debra Waterhouse, Registered Dietician in 1999).
– And the best news yet. Upon further study, it has been found that there is a positive correlation between the “flavonoids” in dark chocolate and properties of antioxidants; those preventing “bad” cholesterol (LDL) in the blood from oxidizing and clogging arteries. side hustle stack
Therefore, as previously stated, if you are looking for a diet “cheat” during the holidays, dark chocolate may not be a bad option. Facts aside, and before you run out to fill your shopping cart full, keep these guidelines in mind:
– Heed the advice of Aristotle: “Everything in moderation.” Refrain from taking the chocolate factory tour and keep your chocolate fix to a minimum. Enjoy it, but please don’t over do. low carb